Friday, October 28, 2016

My Finite Heart

I have been to three funerals in three weeks. Each of these precious souls lived full lives and left a beautiful legacy of family. Truly, these memorial events were celebrations of their earthly life.

So I have been thinking about losing our loved ones.

It has been two years since we lost my grandmother and my sister-in-law. I think of them both several times a week. I like to think of their laugh. Each one had a distinctive and infectious laugh. I also think about things I could have done differently. They were human in their imperfectness ... just as I am.

I have this vision of my finite heart. When these people, that are a part of who I am, dies then they take a piece of my heart with them and I am with them for eternity. I can never replace that missing piece and I know it is not there.

And I wonder, how many heart pieces can I lose before there is more missing than present?