Tuesday, October 2, 2018

First 24 Hours - Foster Placement

The last 24 hours have been a whirlwind.

6:06pm - Our Jonathan's Place Caseworker calls to ask us if we would like to take C, a 5 year old boy. We know that he has a 1 year old sister already placed and a 9 year old step sister. And we know he is in a county one hour away. We say yes if we can get help with transport for family weekly visits.

I tear up thinking of a child that is experiencing a trauma that will be a part of his being.

7:00pm - Our Jonathan's Place Caseworker texts me that our placement has been confirmed. Youngest Son and I are eating dinner as we get the news.

I go into a nesting kind of frenzy. Getting things ready, picking up, setting out some toys ...

9:00pm -  CPS arrives to drop off C but it is not the Investigator that did the home removal so she has no information on any details. C cries for his Mom as we get him out of her car. I work to ease his fears and make him feel welcome. Our Jonathan's Place Caseworker comes over as well.  There is LOTS of paperwork to sign. C sits in my lap drawing while we go through all the forms and I sign my name frequently. C has the clothes he is wearing, an empty backpack except for two school folders, a fuzzy ball keychain and some kiddie hand sanitizer - that is it.

10:00pm -  C is left in our care. We go to his room and he immediately spies the feelings face chart. We go through it. I ask him which face describes how he feels at that moment; he points to happy. He picks out a toothbrush and we brush his teeth. C plays legos for awhile with Youngest Son then I read him Go Dog Go and he falls asleep at about 10:45pm.

C has never been in foster care before thus cannot possibly understand the concept. It was the same with D. I am better prepared this time knowing that explaining what foster care is to C will be important and will take some time but I get started.

9:30am - 
 C is still asleep. I am surprised but so happy he is getting rest.

10:30am -  C has woken up and he is calmly playing with cars in his room.

10:45am -  I make C some eggs, toast, grapes and chocolate milk. He asked for salt and pepper on his eggs. I am thrilled he is eating healthy foods. C is talkative and good natured. He is in the same clothes he arrived in so he is already dressed for the day.

11:30am -  We head to local elementary to enroll C. C told me what elementary he has been attending and that is about all I know. The registrar has never handled a foster child but we fumble through together. We meet C's kindergarten teacher. We visit the school uniform closet - not much there but we manage to get enough to start the week.

Foster kids must be in school within 72 hours. I also have to work so getting to school is critical path. 

12:30pm -  We are at YMCA to enroll for after school care.

1:06pm -  The CPS Investigator calls me while I am at YMCA so I stop to take the call. Foster parents do not ignore phone numbers they do not recognize. He request that I take C for a medical test and attempts to hang up. I stop him and I am able to gather the details in C's case known so far. I learn the first court date will be October 4.

1:45pm -  We arrive to get C's medical test. C asks to go What-A-Burger for lunch - you bet!

2:10pm -  At What-A-Burger C eats a dry cheeseburger, apple slices and milk. Again I am so happy to see him eat well.

3:00pm -  We arrive at Jonathan's Place for his 3 day medical exam. The State of Texas requires all foster children to be looked at within 3 days of placement. We are fortunate that Jonathan's Place has a medical professional onsite on Tuesdays and Fridays. He is in great shape except for a very small area of scabies. So the cream to get rid of them is called into the pharmacy and we are told to wash everything (linens, etc.) in hot water.

4:00pm -  We visit Jonathan's Place Warehouse to try to get some clothes. There was not a allot in his size but we get a few items. C also gets a couple folders needed for school and some toys.

5:20pm -  We go to CVS to find that the cream is $140!! I let them know C has Medicaid. They will process through and the charge will be $0. WHEW.

5:45pm -  We drop by Marshall's to get a few required clothing basics to manage through the week at least.

6:10pm -  We are at home and it is bath time for C. He has a good time in our big bathtub with bubbles. I start figuring out how he is with water and self-care. We apply the cream from head to toe and dress him in sorta PJs (could not really find his size today.) He looks so dang cute.

7:00pm -  I have dinner on the table: salmon (Youngest Son smoked last weekend), spinach salad, baked potatoes, grapes and milk. C eats all of it except for the cucumbers in the salad. I am thrilled. Eating can frequently be a difficult experience with foster kids.

8:00pm - We start establishing a bedtime routine. Brush teeth and read books. As I read to him, I can see him getting quiet. He has been chatty with me all day. I tuck him in and I let him know I will be on couch in his room until he falls asleep. A few minutes later I hear the choking and the tears and the words asking for his Mom. I go hug him, talk to him and find him a stuffed doggie to snuggle. I return to couch. A few moments later he is on the couch wrapped in my arms missing his Mom, Dad, sisters and dogs. I hold him. I talk to him. Eventually I get him back in his bed and he falls asleep at about 9:15pm ...

AND THAT IS THE FIRST 24 HOURS. 
I am definitely more prepared this time and understand the system so much better. C is an engaging little boy with a Texas twang who has a mischievious smile. And here we go ...

A Note on D:
D turned 7 and we went to his birthday party. We loved seeing him and he was super excited to see Youngest Son. D and his toddler brother are still with the wonderful foster family and thriving and loved. D's mother had a healthy baby boy. It is expected that D will stay in foster care for an undetermined amount of time.

GLIMPSES
Youngest Son made this lego car for C and he took it with us on our zillions of Day 1 Foster errands.

Our What-A-Burger stop!
#notsilent #fostercare #fosterparent #fosterson