Sunday, April 26, 2020

Our Love on Sunday Mornings

Couples who have been together for many years fall into patterns that show their love for each other. Tom and I have ours. Ours are the same and they are changing. As I type that sentence, I tear up.

On this beautiful Sunday morning, Tom brings me coffee in bed in a favorite coffee mug. He has brought me coffee for years. For those of you familiar with love languages, mine is overwhelmingly Acts of Service.
This mug means the world to me. It was a gift by my youngest niece in a difficult year.
And a new act of love has entered our world. On Sunday mornings, Tom fills his pill box independently with perhaps a few questions. Once he finishes, he brings to me to check since we are at the stage where I do monitor to make sure he stays safe. During the week, he remembers to take medications without prompting. I will check with him just to make sure but typically he does well.

Last Sunday, Tom told me he "loved this pill box" and thanked me for getting for him.  I got this new version of the pill organizer for him last Fall when I could see that his medications were not being taken correctly using the one he had. Simple things like this help keep independence longer which is incredibly important on so many levels.
This is an effective organizer for loved ones with dementia. The colors, symbols and dividers with separate lids make it easy to use.

Most of us start with romantic love and I suppose some couples maintain it for a lifetime. Many of us evolve to an enduring love that is shows abundantly in both the everyday things and the inimitable moments.