Saturday, February 16, 2019

End of Week 3 with Z ... Rollercoaster

We are definitely on the foster care rollercoaster. 

Heading Up On The Rollercoaster With A Smile

We went to Children's Rees-Jones Foster Care Center last Monday for Z's 30 day medical check up. I asked the pediatrician for advice on how to handle the bedtime meltdowns. She reminded me that Z might be at the emotional level of a 3 year old (many foster kids 2-3 years behind in various ways) and she asked me if I had tried rocking him. I had not and we do not have a rocking chair in his room. BUT, I can wrap him in blanket and hold him "like a baby" on the couch and talk to him. So, that is what I have done for the past 5 nights and we also have a sticker chart for Z for each positive bedtime. Z has not had a bedtime meltdown since we started this approach. Crossing my fingers that this lasts.

We celebrated Valentines with Youngest Son and Z with our traditional Hershey Kiss trail leading to gifts. Youngest Son even got up early so we could have our morning celebration before I left for work and Z went to school.

This morning I took Z to a soccer clinic at the YMCA and he did fairly well. Two hours is a long time for him to stay focused but Z managed to participate about 80% of the time. He had a good time and is starting to learn kick a soccer ball.

He eats like a champ! Z will eat anything we put in front of him. It is helpful that food is not an issue and he is getting great nutrition.

Heading Down On The Rollercoaster Screaming

We are dealing with behaviors that are tough. Listening to requests, following rules, transitions and hearing "no" is hard for Z. There have been challenging moments almost every day.

We are trying to figure out how to help Z so I have actioned the following with the help of Jonathan's Place Case Manager and our Children's Rees-Jones Pediatrician:

  • Hearing test on Monday
  • Speech therapy request in motion
  • Weekly therapy at our house starts Thursday
  • We have Psychological Assessment set up for the week of Feb 25
  • We have follow up psychological assessment at Children's Rees-Jones the week of March 4
  • We have officially requested in writing a special ed assessment at Z's public school elementary
  • We are documenting and reporting all concerning occurrences


I picked up these books with the recognition that we need to think about what a 3 year old would like ... Good Night Gorilla is a big hit so far! 

And just to make things more interesting, I fell and hurt my wrist so in a splint this week.

Working Mom Valentines shopping at the company store.

Z moving fast to pick up the Hershey Kisses on Valentines.

Z LOVES cars and Cars. I finally bought the Disney movie on Prime Amazon.

Soccer clinic this morning.