Thursday, August 20, 2020

Alzheimer's This Day

 A typical occurrence for families facing dementia.

When Younger-Onset Alzheimer's hits families, we are typically still in an active phase of life with kids and jobs and robust social lives. One of the impacted areas that is quite time consuming is changing how bills, utilities, online accounts, memberships, subscriptions, etc. are set up. Most of these things require a User ID, passwords and/or PIN numbers. For our family, ALLOT of these things were and are set up in Tom's name on his computer with his multiple email accounts and endless variations of access information. Sam, Noah and I are still changing and shifting various accounts after one and half years! I know it seems crazy.

I am going to use today's frustration to illustrate how we as a society must do better.

SITUATION

Our AT&T security monitoring automated billing did not go through last couple months. Tom had set up this particular service on a new system in 2017.  I am guessing the credit card entered online had expired. Notices went to Tom's email which we did not pick up until today. We were behind two months: July and August.

I tried to pay online but could not because they suspended our account - fair enough. So I started the process of calling customer service. I explained Tom's Younger-Onset Alzheimer's situation thus I needed to make the catch up payment AND to change account to my name. 

AT&T's response was to charge $5 for the phone help, $35 for reactivation and $100 to change to my name. I could accept the $5 and the $35 but the $100 threw me over the edge.  I reiterated the situation of why we needed the name change and the response was "so sorry but we cannot do anything." 

And I am doing all this while listening to a work conference call because these kinds of things usually have to be done 8-5 Monday to Friday with long periods of time on hold. I was flustered and frustrated and in tears. Overreacting? Probably. But this happens so much and this is when caregivers feel VERY alone. Sam, Noah and I are doing the best we can to get these things changed ... we are doing the best we can ... we are trying.

ANOTHER WAY

There is an alternative. This conversation could have been something like this "Mrs. Grimsley, we understand your circumstances are difficult right now. We want to do what we can to help. We will absolutely waive those fees. We appreciate you calling to share what is going on in your life that impacted the delay in payment. Can you spend a few more moments with me making sure we turn your service back on and get your account details changed?"

COMPASSIONATE SOCIETY

When asked what can you do, I would say help us form a society that prioritizes empathy and seeks understanding of the human condition. If you are in a position of influence, create flexible policies that are considerate and kind which may mean reducing profits. Let us all be curious about what others are experiencing; I find that much goes on that is not obvious. So much in conducting daily life seems so much harder than it has to be ... imagine if our first priority was creating a compassionate society.

CONCLUSION

I canceled the AT&T security monitoring service. Now I will figure out if there is another option. 

Huge Sigh.