Friday, August 7, 2020

"Eggcellent" Humor

Tom has a progressive brain disease thus things will be in a constant state of change for him and us. I do think Tom's frontal lobe is being impacted some as we are seeing some behaviors that are less inhibitive - teen like. I do check in with him to see how he is feeling ...

Tom says "Some days are better than others. Some days I am in the zone. And others I am far away. Usually a good night sleep and exercise helps, at least I think I am more with it. But if I go without exercise I may feel a bit hazy but hard to predict."

Tom's philosophy is "I do not think each day how am I doing. I do try to notice big things. But little things, you just have to let it go. I focus day to day on the good things like when I get up in the morning I think about the boys being here. When you told me about Sam going back to school then I got sad."

Most of Tom's mental capacity is spent on self-care, thankfully. Independently, he exercises daily, takes his medicine, reads about brain health and prepares food for himself. He just decided turmeric is good for his brain thus found it in our spice drawer and ingesting each day ... I think. He is able to manage watering outside each day, helping clean up kitchen and assisting with whatever we ask. Tom still brings me a cup of coffee most mornings which makes both of us happy!

Tom reflects on his coping mechanisms "I think I am doing a pretty good job bringing humor in. Saying funny things and acting goofy can help." The boys and I rely on humor as well. Like most families, we fall into topics that get lots of airplay. Right now, Tom seems preoccupied with how Sam cooks his eggs which Tom thinks is not optimal. Here are recent Family Group text messages from Tom illustrating his superior egg making skills and still eggcellent use of puns: 




Tom has given me permission to blog about this journey.