Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Compassionate Care Policy

We have made so much feel so hard. We is defined as society, companies, organizations, America ...

I had another one of those experiences today. We need to cancel memberships due to a combination of Tom's Younger-Onset Alzheimer's and COVID. It has been difficult. COVID impacted the availability of member service resources thus connecting has been challenging for all parties. And I do think we have all done the best we can to connect.

Here is what I think Compassionate Care looks like:

Me: "My husband has ... and he cannot drive .... and cannot get out until COVID vaccine ... and ... and the other factors ... I am so sorry but we need to cancel this membership ..."

My Organization Dream Response: "I completely understand and we are so sorry to hear of your hardship. Please do not worry about this situation any further. We will take care of the cancellation and there will be no additional financial impacts. This is one less item for you to worry about ... we care about you and your family."

This dream model does NOT include multiple emails, voice mails, phone calls and escalations to supervisors and executives.

Maybe this qualifies as a rant. I would rather it be read as a plea. I propose we, collectively, create policies that prioritize kindness and compassion. Let's call it a Compassionate Care Policy. Will people take advantage sometimes? You bet. But why does that even matter? We can accept without resentment that there is some collateral loss in an imperfect world. I truly believe a kinder world is more important and will ultimately provide immeasurable dividends. 

I hear from so many that are dealing with really serious life stuff. I would like to empower people with tools to truly demonstrate empathy. Imagine the front line worker who gets to make decisions that make the world a nicer place and bring smiles on the other end of that phone on that first contact!

So I reacted again today and ended up in tears. Sometimes my fragility "wins" the moment. Ugh.