Monday, September 28, 2020

Rhetorical Questions

This day I cannot shake the pain
It is actually this week
Or perhaps it is this month
Oh gosh, the truth is years

It sounds bleak
What do people do when it is so heavy?

I built relationships and was good at it
The focus on shared experiences was the priority
Then the stuff of life hits
One, then another, and another

It seems never ending
What do people do when it keeps getting heavier?

I redirected to recover
There was a plan and a path
But each choice evaporated beyond my control
The hole got bigger and bigger

It is overwhelming
What do people do when it feels too heavy?

It is the betrayals and sickness and death
And not just in my home
In too many lives immediately around me
And in our institutions and our country too 

It feels hopeless
What do people do?