Monday, April 30, 2018

All Children Deserve a Chance

This is Love.
Life is messy. Most of us are just trying to do the best we can.

Youngest Son
"You know I was thinking while I was driving today and it occurred to me that D has no chance."

Commuter Husband
"If things were different and D was available. I might want to adopt him. Can you believe I am saying this? He is such a great kid."

D's Family (Two Grandmothers, an Aunt and a Cousin)
D's Family walked into the CPS office today with a huge, beautiful bouquet of flowers for me. I am crying typing these words. D's family simply wants their family back together. They are grateful D is being cared for while they are dealing with judges and courts and working unfamiliar systems to get their kids back.

It is all about compassion and empathy and love. Each of us touching D's young life right now wants him to be safe and happy. And to have a chance. All children deserve a chance.

I want to be part of a society that helps pick people up when they fall; a society that protects ALL children when adults fail them and where protection is usually defined in lots of complex ways.